Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, March 31, 2011

38 weeks!! (3-31-11)


This very well could be my last blog before the baby is born! :) Tomorrow is my last day of work, and I'm ready to get the show on the road :) I feel huge, nothing fits and I just want to hold that sweet girl in my arms!

I'm more excited than nervous, people ask if I'm nervous, and I say not really. I know labor is not going to be a picnic, it's going to hurt and be exhausting, but almost every woman does it, and I'm ready too. Or maybe reality just hasn't hit yet ;) sometimes I look in the mirror and still can't believe that I am pregnant. I'm going to have a baby. I'm going to be a mom. It's so crazy to think about! But I know when the contractions begin and when she is finally in my arms, it will all be real!

Had a doctor's appt yesterday, everything is good and I'm dilated 2 cm! That doesn't really indicate anything, as I could go in tonight, or it could be another 2 weeks before I dilate any more.

Not really anything else to write about I guess...just waiting for when this baby girl decides to show her face to the world :)



How Big is the Baby at 38 Weeks Pregnant?
At 38 weeks pregnant your baby is rapidly approaching 6.3 pounds, and the length will remain about 19 to 20 inches from now until birth.

Your Baby's Growth and Development
Your baby is still focusing on putting on weight. Did you know that after delivery, your healthcare team will conduct an Apgar test on your baby? Many parents become obsessed with the Apgar score their child receives after birth, so it is worth a mention or two.

The Apgar score is simply a way that your doctor can evaluate the overall condition of your newborn immediately after birth. This score may sometimes be helpful for evaluations that occur later.

An Apgar evaluation is given one minute after birth and then again after five minutes of birth. Your doctor or nurse will make note of the following things:

  • Your baby's color after birth (bluish or pink).
  • Your baby's respiration.
  • Your newborn baby's heart rate.
  • Your newborn baby's muscle tone.
  • Your baby's reflexes.
The one minute score reflects how easily your baby handled the birthing process. A high score generally indicates that your baby will do well in the postpartum period. A low score might indicate that your baby requires observation or further tests to make sure that everything is ok.

The second test is given to measure how well your baby is handling his new environment outside the womb.

Your baby is given a score based on the following parameters:

  • Color - 2 points for pink body, 1 point for close to pink with blue arms or legs, 0 for blue or pale coloring all over.
  • Respiratory - 2 points for a strong cry, 1 point for a slow or weak cry, 0 points for no crying.
  • Heart Rate - 2 points for heart rate greater than 100 beats per minute, 1 point for a heartbeat under 100 beats per minute, 0 points for no heart beat.
  • Muscle Tone-- 2 points for vigorous movement, 1 point for small flexing of the limbs, 0 points if the baby is still.
  • Reflexes - 2 points if your baby cries during the test, 1 if your baby makes a little bit of a fuss, 0 if your baby doesn't make any noise during this exam.

Generally a high score, or a score between 8 and 10, means that your baby is in very good condition. A lower score might necessitate some further testing.

0 comments on "38 weeks!! (3-31-11)"

Post a Comment

 

My Pregnancy Blog Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | All Image Presented by Tadpole's Notez